Plastic Procedures > Cosmetic Procedures > Breast
What is Breast Lifting?
Breast Lifting, or augmentation mastopexy, is a surgical procedure designed to enhance the shape and or the size of a woman's breast. A breast implant is a prosthesis used to alter the size and shape of a woman's breasts (known as Breast Lifting, breast enlargement, mammoplasty enlargement, augmentation mammoplasty or the common slang term boob job).
This has become one of the most popular procedures performed today. Breast shape can easily be enhanced with elimination of ptosis of female breast especially in old age and after breast feeding by one or more procedures.
There are many reasons why women choose to undergo Breast Lifting. Some women wish to increase the size of their breasts in order to enhance their body contour. Breast Lifting can correct breasts of different size, or help women that have lost shape in their breasts as a result of age, pregnancy or nursing. There are other reasons why women choose to undergo Breast Lifting. However, the individual must have realistic goals and expectations for the procedure.
There are three primary types of breast implants that can be used in Mastopexy: saline-filled, silicone-gel-filled and adjustable or Becker implants. Currently the FDA approves the use of saline-filled implants for Breast Lifting, while silicone gel-filled implants are only approved for certain types. Be sure to ask your doctor about the types of implants available for Breast Lifting. The Other techniques of breast lifting include, vertical reduction mammoplasty, Circumarolar breast lifting, ..etc.
With the increasing popularity of various cosmetic surgery procedures, including Breast Lifting surgery, it is imperative that the prospective patient research and understand different issues like what the procedure can and cannot treat, inherent risks, costs, and so on. Keep in mind, cosmetic surgery is just that a surgical procedure whose results cannot simply be erased. When considering any form of cosmetic surgery, it is important to have a good understanding of the procedure before making a decision. Take some time to view the introductory information we have provided on Breast Lifting surgery. While the information contained in this website will provide you with a basic understanding of the procedure, it may not answer all of your questions. To get complete answers to the questions you are seeking, we recommend that you contact us.
Benefits of Breast Lifting Surgery:
The cosmetic surgery procedure of Breast Lifting can enhance woman breast shape and/or size, resulting in a more proportional figure. While the reasons may vary as to why one would seek Breast Lifting surgery, some of the more common reasons include:
- To enhance the breast shape, for a number of reasons including the perception that one's breasts are ptotic or droopy;
- To enhance the overall body contour, balance and proportions;
- To achieve an enhanced appearance, size, projection, etc., following pregnancy, aging, breast feeding and/or weight loss;
- To restore appearance through reconstruction following reconstructive breast surgery (i.e., reconstructed other breast after mastectomy).
Who Are the best candidates?
As with other cosmetic surgery procedures, the most appropriate candidates for Breast Lifting surgery are those who are:
- looking for improvement and not perfection.
- being over 18 years of age.
- possessing good physical and mental health.
- being realistic in their expectations
How is Breast Lifting Surgery Performed?
Variations in the procedure include the Ptosis Grade or level of breast drooping, implant material, and implant pocket placement.
Grades or degrees of Breast Ptosis:
What is Before?
- Before starting the Breast Lifting procedure, mammogram should be done as a base line for micro-calcification.
- The Procedure takes one hour, and usually done under General anesthesia or Local anesthesia with sedation.
- In its most simple form, Breast Lifting surgery involves making an incision, lifting the breast tissue, creating a pocket in the chest/breast area, and placing an envelope, referred to as an "implant," containing a soft implant material underneath (i.e., saline, gel, silicone, etc).
- In more complicated procedures, reshaping of breast glandular tissue with or without elimination of excess skin.
Type of implants:
For most Breast Lifting surgeries, silicone implants are most frequently used.
Recently introduced to the breast implant market are saline filled "adjustable" implants. Similar to standard saline filled implants, "adjustable" implants include a small connector tube through which the doctor may adjust the size of the implants by injecting more/less saline. Adjustable implants do require an additional incision, and therefore a scar, to expose the injection port of the implants.
Type of Incisions:
Multiple factors such as the patient's anatomy and the surgeon's preference determine how the breast implant is inserted and positioned. Typically, Breast Augmentation Mastopexy surgery incisions are located in the crease where the breast meets the chest, around the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple), or in the armpit. More recent implantation techniques utilize a small incision placed in the bellybutton region.
Implant Pocket Placement:
- Once the incision has been created, the surgeon lifts the breast tissue and skin to create a pocket. It is within this "pocket" that the breast implant will be placed and centered beneath the nipple and areola. Depending on the patient's anatomy, the size of the implant, the surgeon's technique, etc., the implants will be placed either directly behind the breast tissue (sub-glandular) or underneath the muscles of the chest wall (sub-muscular). Recently, Dual-Plane pocket was designed to get rid off upper pole fullness and to avoid displacement of the prosthesis with less liability for capsular contracture formation.
- Following the insertion and placement of the breast implants, sutures are used to close the surgical incisions. We will wrap the chest region with a gauze bandage to provide support and to assist with healing. Occasionally, tubes may be used for a brief time following the Breast Lifting surgery to drain the surgical site.
- If Breast Lifting is designed for auto-augmentation by reshaping
of the glandular tissue with or without excision of excess skin, there are many designs for incisions as Circumarolar,
key-hole incision and J-shape incision. The choice depend on the size and shape of the breast and the size and shape
of the other breast.
What is after? The Recovery Period !
- Breast Lifting surgery stretches the breast tissue and, therefore, can be painful especially in those Breast Lifting cases where the implants have been placed under the chest muscle. Typically, the greatest amount of pain is experienced within the few hours following Breast Lifting surgery. The level of pain typically reduces gradually and may be effectively treated by various pain medications.
- Following your Breast Lifting surgery, it is important to take any medication(s) prescribed such as anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. Keep in mind, it will important to arrange for someone to drive you home following Breast Lifting surgery.
What Are the Risks Associated With Breast Lifting Surgery?
- Breast implants are not lifetime devises and cannot be expected to last forever (at least 10 years).
- The Capsular contracture that is the scar or capsule surrounding the breast implant is formed and begins to tighten and harden. As a result of this "contracture" the breast may feel hard and tight. Frequent massaging of the breast during healing will help prevent capsular contracture from forming.
- It is common for most women to experience some degree of numbness and sensitivity following Breast Lifting surgery. These symptoms typically disappear within weeks.
- Recently, a great deal of discussion and research has taken place regarding the use of breast implants and the development of various immune system diseases such as scleroderma and other arthritis like conditions, as well as cancer. To date, current research has found no clear relationship between breast implants and these immune system conditions.
While most women do not experience complications with their Breast Lifting surgery, each patient should still discuss the possibility of developing some of these conditions.
What Are The Typical Costs Associated With Breast Lifting Surgery?
Often the price says nothing about the quality of the work. Most multicenter clinics charge much more than private doctors their advertising budget is more and the owner of the clinic has to take his 20% or 30% off the top. In my opinion, you are less likely to get a quality procedures at these multi-center locations.
Although price is a factor when deciding on surgery, the most important factor is that you feel you are getting a good quality, natural-looking result from the procedure.
Breast Lifting Procedure costs are variable according to the deformity, type of used implant and the used technique. Usually the cost is ranging from 1500 to 2000 U.S. dollars. Most medical insurance providers do not cover the Breast Lifting surgery.
Frequently asked questions of patients who considering Breast
Q - What is the type of anesthesia, and when I can return to normal life?
A - General anesthesia or Local anesthesia with sedation, and you can practice your normal life within 2 days after operation.
Q - What are the symptoms that may occur in the first five days after mammoplasty lifting procedures?
A - Soreness which could be managed by pain killer's medications and there may be edema or swelling.
Q - What are the guarantees that the success of the Breast Lifting surgery?
A - There is no doubt that the followers of the medical instructions and close follow up visits are the main factors for the success of any surgical procedure. If not, the process to achieve the agreed outcomes before, the process repeats at reduced cost.
Q - When can we get the final results?
A - The final results is achieved within the first three months.
Q - Is the lifted breast seems naturally?
A - Yes, as regard nipple sensation and consistency. Also, the procedure is not interfere with breast feeding.
Q - What is ideal age for Breast Lifting surgery?
A - It could be done at any age after 18 years.
Q - If you are not Egyptian, What is the minimum period for follow up?
A - Ten days.
Q - What are the contraindications of Breast Lifting surgery?
A - There are no absolute contraindications but the patients should inform their surgeons about any allergies, serious medical conditions, and medications they may be taking. Smokers should stop smoking 2 weeks before surgical procedures to promote the healing process.
Q - Where will the Breast Lifting surgery be performed?
A - In hospital.
Q - In my case, what size, type of implant is most appropriate in helping me achieve my cosmetic goal?
A - It depend on the your age, body build and your preference.
Q - How much does Breast Lifting surgery cost and what elements factor into that cost like hospital fees, anesthesia, and so on?
A - Ranging from 1500 to 2000 U.S. dollars. Medical insurance dose not cover Breast Lifting surgery.
Q - What is the surgeon's level of experience in performing Breast Lifting procedures?
A - Consultant or Doctoral in Plastic surgery.
Q - What percentage of patients experience complications with Breast Lifting surgery?
A - 3 - 5%
Q - What about non-surgical Breast Lifting?
A - There is nothing else implantation of breast or fat injection (Surgical procedures) to enlarge and enhance the female breast. Thread Lifting is under trials.
- Third & fourth generations of Silicone:
Third & fourth generation implants, from the mid 1980s, represented sequential advances in manufacturing principles with elastomeric-coated shells to decrease gel bleed, and are filled with thicker, more cohesive gel. The increased cohesion of the gel filler reduced potential leakage of the gel compared to earlier devices and the more substantial shell improved durability as compared to 2nd generation implants. A variety of both round and tapered anatomic shapes are available from different implants in this group. The anatomic or shaped implants are uniformly impregnated with a textured surface to reduce rotation, while round devices are available in both smooth or textured surfaces.
- Fifth generations of silicone:
Evaluation of "gummy bear" or solid, high-cohesive, form-stable
implants is in preliminary stages.
Summary of Breast Lifting (Mastopexy) surgery:
The time of the procedure:
from one to two hours.
Type of anesthesia: General or local anesthesia +/- sedation.
Location: hospital with or without postoperative hospital stay.
Expected Side effects: Temporary swelling and pain.
Recovery time: return to work within 2 days and the final outcome within 3 months.
Cost: according to procedure, prothesis ranging from 1500 to 2000 U.S. dollars, or 8000 to 11,000 Egyptian pounds.
Results: at least 10 years and oftenly, permanent results.
May be this is too expensive in your country. Or just you look for privacy and discretion.
May be you are considering having this surgery abroad, but with safety and confidence.
ENTER and know all what you have to know about safe and affordable plastic surgery!!
Should you have any questions, please feel free to Contact Us!